Re: Unable to use VIEWS (Ok button remains shaded)

From: Richard Broersma <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: joseflores <jose(dot)floresv(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unable to use VIEWS (Ok button remains shaded)
Date: 2010-09-16 16:24:49
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 6:29 PM, joseflores <jose(dot)floresv(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Once I try to do something (whatever that may be) with VIEWS, the OK button
> never goes from gray to black (as if I didn't have all the privileges) to be
> clicked on as to accept the creation or changes.

Views are not update-able by default unlike a table. It is possible
to make a view update-able I you build custom rules into the view.
However, I should mention that even with custom rules, you really
shouldn't attempt to make an update-able view based upon a query that
joins or unions two or more tables together.

Here is how to make a view update-able:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/rules-views.html#RULES-VIEWS-UPDATE

And here is the current stance taken on the use of update-able views:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Updatable_views

--
Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.