Re: pg_dump --split patch

From: David Wilson <david(dot)t(dot)wilson(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Joel Jacobson <joel(at)gluefinance(dot)com>
Cc: Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: pg_dump --split patch
Date: 2010-12-28 23:00:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Joel Jacobson <joel(at)gluefinance(dot)com> wrote:

> I think you are right about functions (and aggregates) being the only
> desc-type where two objects can share the same name in the same schema.
> This means the problem of dumping objects in different order is a very
> limited problem, only affecting overloaded functions.
>
> I didn't include the arguments in the file name, as it would lead to very
> long file names unless truncated, and since the problem is very limited, I
> think we shouldn't include it. It's cleaner with just the name part of the
> tag in the file name.

Why not place all overloads of a function within the same file? Then,
assuming you order them deterministically within that file, we sidestep the
file naming issue and maintain useful diff capabilities, since a diff of the
function's file will show additions or removals of various overloaded
versions.

--
- David T. Wilson
david(dot)t(dot)wilson(at)gmail(dot)com