Re: Obsolete description in pg_ctl-ref.sgml

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Obsolete description in pg_ctl-ref.sgml
Date: 2010-12-13 04:21:51
Lists: pgsql-docs
On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>> Notes
>>>
>>> Waiting for complete startup is not a well-defined operation and
>>> might fail if access control is set up so that a local client cannot
>>> connect without manual interaction (e.g., password authentication).
>>> For additional connection variables, see Section 31.13, and for
>>> passwords, also see Section 31.14.
>>
>> The above also seems to be obsolete, thanks to recently-introduced
>> PQping. Can we remove that?
>
> Should we remove only the first sentence and keep the second one, or
> is it more appropriate to remove the whole thing?

At least the reference to section 31.14 is needless since password
authentication doesn't affect the pg_ctl -w for now. But, on the second
thought, it can still fail because of miss-configuration of connection
variable, for example PGHOST. So we might have to leave the first
sentence with minor change. How about?:

-----------------
Notes

Waiting for complete startup is not a well-defined operation and
might fail if access control is set up so that a local client cannot
connect because of wrong configuration (e.g., name of host to
connect to). For additional connection variables, see Section 31.13.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center