psqlexception syntax error at or near "$"

From: Steven Dahlin <pgdb(dot)sldahlin(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: psqlexception syntax error at or near "$"
Date: 2010-11-09 14:37:36
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
In attempting to execute ddl that will create functions I am getting errors
which will not allow the functions to be created.  In running with the 8.4
driver if I attempt the following:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION system_info_fnc01() RETURNS trigger AS
$$
declare
  iCnt       integer;
begin
  select count(*) into  iCnt from  system_info;
  if ( iCnt > 0 ) then
     raise exception ''System Info record already present'';
  end if;
  return new;
end;
$$
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' IMMUTABLE

I get an error with the $$.  In substituting an ' for $$ the following
occurs:
*unterminated quoted string at or near "' declare iCnt integer"*

If I then set the delimiter to something like '|' I still get the
unterminated quote string problem. Could someone tell me how to get around
this problem?

Thanks

pgsql-jdbc by date