Re: MS Access and field-level permissions?

From: Richard Broersma <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Benjamin Smith <lists(at)benjamindsmith(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MS Access and field-level permissions?
Date: 2010-08-18 14:21:10
Lists: pgsql-odbc

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Benjamin Smith
<lists(at)benjamindsmith(dot)com> wrote:

> We're using field level permissions to restrict what data is accessible over
> ODBC - we're enabling SELECT only and on a restrictive set of fields. But, when
> we try to link up with MS Access, none of the fields are populated. You can see
> the fields, but never the content of the fields.

I've never tried to setup field level permissions on access linked
tables before, so this is news to me. However, I wonder if this
behavior is a result of the way MS-Access implements optimistic
locking. I'll have to do more digging on this subject.

> Similarly, with this configuration, via psql when I run "select * from table"
> where I don't have permissions to all fields in the table, I get a "Permission
> denied" error rather than any content.

This is correct. This is the way it is documented to work since '*'
expands to list every field of the set.

--
Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.