Re: Problems with 8.3.12 docs?

From: Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Steevie <steevie(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems with 8.3.12 docs?
Date: 2011-01-18 02:42:56
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 3:24 AM, Steevie <steevie(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hello there,
> I recently downloaded from [1] the A4 pdf manual for postgresql 8.3. I
> noticed that in Section VI (SQL commands reference) all the hyperlinks
> to other commands in the "See Also" part of each command description
> do not link to those other command, but rather bring you back to page
> 1, i.e., the very beginning of the pdf. I do not think this is the
> intended behaviour.

Hrm.. there's something different about the 8.3 A4 PDF and the 9.0 A4
PDF on the website. I see the problem you're describing with the 8.3
manual, but not the 9.0 manual. Not sure what that could be, and it's
hard for me to poke at since openjade segfaults for me when trying to
build the PDF.

> In addition, in the documentation version 8.3.12 there is no "content"
> (as in kpdf are called adobe's bookmarks) that can be used to browse
> the pages and move to a particular section. These bookmarks however
> appeared in 8.3.4 version, which also has the same problem with
> hyperlinks.

Not sure I understand this problem, but I'm using gnome's "Document
Viewer" on Ubuntu, and when I check View->Side Pane, I can navigate
through chapters in the PDF.

> I can guess there has been some problem with pdflatex, so recompiling
> the source might solve the problem.
>
> I only wonder whether I should file a bug somewhere or if this report suffices.

This is probably as good a place as any to complain. Maybe someone who
is able to build the PDFs can check whether the 8.3 PDF links are
mangled when they build themselves -- I'm wondering whether perhaps a
PDF compression step done by the website is causing this?

Josh