Re: Optimize date query for large child tables: GiST or GIN?

From: David Jarvis <thangalin(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Matthew Wakeling <mnw21(at)cam(dot)ac(dot)uk>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Optimize date query for large child tables: GiST or GIN?
Date: 2010-05-21 00:19:06
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,

~300 million measurements
~12000 stations (not 70000 as I mentioned before)
~5500 cities

some serious data tho, at least. Basically, PG is sequentially scanning
> through all of the tables in your partitioning setup. What is
> constraint_exclusion set to? What version of PG is this? Do the
> results og this query look at all correct to you?

PG 8.4

show constraint_exclusion;
partition

With so much data, it is really hard to tell if the query looks okay without
having it visualized. I can't visualize it until I have the query set up
correctly. At the moment it looks like the query is wrong. :-(

Have you considered an index on elevation, btw? How many records in
> that city table are there and how many are actually in that range?

I've since added a constraint on elevation; it'll help a bit:

CREATE INDEX station_elevation_idx
ON climate.station
USING btree
(elevation);