Re: GSoC database modeler [Luis Ochoa]

From: Luis Ochoa <ziul1979(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GSoC database modeler [Luis Ochoa]
Date: 2010-08-17 02:44:41
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 5:26 PM, Guillaume Lelarge

> Le 16/08/2010 22:40, Thom Brown a écrit :
> > On 16 August 2010 21:05, Luis Ochoa <ziul1979(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >> Hi, this is my patch for GSoC 2010 database designer for pgAdmin, I hope
> it
> >> likes you, I have done a lot of work to create this modeler, but even
> with
> >> all that work, is unfinished and lacks of a lot of things, but I believe
> >> that it will be ready in a professional way in a few months.
> >>
> >> This is a  patch for the git repository, it have been tested at windows
> &
> >> linux.
> >>
> >> you can watch in action (windows) here:
> >>

> >> Regards, Luis.
> >>

> > Hi Luis,
> >
> > Nice progress. :)  I notice that if you create a new table and then
> > create a foreign key on it from another table, the datatype on the new
> > table is undefined.  Couldn't that default to the same datatype as the
> > primary key? (but obviously if the PK is serial/bigserial then it uses
> > int/bigint)

In fact that's normal behavior but I changed a last minute first datatype to
serial and I'll check what happened ( a bug sorry :(   ), Fk is from same
type as pk and you can't change for obvious reasons (except for special kind
like serial for bigint).

> I think we need to get rid of the "undefined" pseudo-type. I would like
> to change the "Add column" menu item to show a dialog with a text box to
> enter the name of the column and a combobox to choose the type (and
> precision too in case of varchar and numeric type).

I believe it too "undefined" should go away, and we can use a default
datatype for column if user wants to change just select another...

Add column at table can bring a dialog, I think to do that but for time
reasons I didn't do it.

>  > I still think one thing which definitely needs changing are the
> > controls.  Most of them cover a very small pixel area and as such make
> > it tricky to click on and prone to missing them (or at least it would
> > be for me).
It is just a initial UI design it can be changed,  but you always have two
options to do that:

fast-> graphically
normal->contextual menus

>  Well, I also think we should get rid of them. Every action should start
> within the contextual menu. No Add or Delete button. And I don't really
> like the "double click" to rename an object. We should use the
> contextual menu once again

I really don't support this idea, because I use modelers all the time and
the main idea of why I like to create a new one was:

I like to do modeling as fast as I can, but bringing a window for every
action puts everything slower (with little changes when modeling), but when
you are entering columns at first time I believe a dialog with grid style
will be better (I thought to do that but for time reasons again)

My idea is two ways of entering data to models: graphically & using
properties like dialogs, people must choice what to use in what moment.

 >  Although I appreciate you're still in the middle of
> > working on everything and are just working on functionality rather
> > than presentation.
> Actually, it's the end of the GSoC. I think Luis still wants to work on
> it, and I really hope so.
UI is just for showing base classes for drawing and modeling working, not a
real window for modeler, it should be changed :D

>  > Also, could the play button (which currently shows the SQL) just say
> > "SQL" on it?
> Yes, that would be best. The "play" button is the execute button on the
> Query Tool. Quite confusing.
> >  And for it to appear in a separate panel in the same window?

This is really a sandbox for modeler, just like a test of base classes of
the modeler and graphical library, because this gsoc project created two

- A graphical framework for doing modeler and drawing like applications.
-The modeler using the generic framework for graphics.

Real one UI should come later.

We'll probably have to get rid of the notebook and have two panes, one
> to draw the schema, one to see the SQL. They can both have a toolbar. On
> the draw pane, we could have load, save, sql buttons. On the SQL pane,
> we could have save, run, open query tool.
My idea is one pane for every model, we can open one or more at same time.
SQL can be show in other way...

>  > Sort of like results currently do for the SQL Query Editor in
> > PgAdmin.  In fact, maybe if the pane is open and you make changes to
> > the diagram, it could update the pane contents in real time?

Just a test, that notepad is just to show results and must be changed at
real one ;)

>  Yeah, could be possible.
> The last item we should not forget is a reverse engineer button. I've
> read some parts of the code Luis wrote, and I think it should be pretty
> easy to do. AFAICT, it's a one day job, considering all the foundations
> built by Luis.
It shouldn't be harder to do it, but there is a lot of things and bugs to
fix before it can be profesionally used.

Regards, Luis.