Re: What Linux edition we should chose?

From: Szymon Guz <mabewlun(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What Linux edition we should chose?
Date: 2010-05-31 15:23:51
Lists: pgsql-general

2010/5/31 Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it>

> On Mon, 31 May 2010 08:47:25 -0600
> Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 2:29 AM, Michal Szymanski
> > <dyrex(at)poczta(dot)onet(dot)pl> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > Currently we use Debian, but it chosen by our OS admnistrator.
> > > Now we can change our OS and it is question what Linux edition
> > > will be the best. We would like have access to new versions of
> > > Postgres as soon as possible, for Debian sometimes we had to
> > > wait many weeks for official packages.
> >
> > Pgsql is pretty easy to build from source.
>
> Yeah it is. But what is it going to be an upgrade process? On a
> production box?
> Any experience to share on upgrading from source on Debian?

Usually that's pretty easy: for upgrading the minor version (e.g. from 8.3.1
to 8.3.3) it should be enough to compile the new sources, stop server, run
`make install` and run the server with new binaries. Upgrading from 8.3 to
8.4 can be easily done using dump from current version. There is nothing
wrong to run the new and old postgres versions parallel so you can copy data
from one database to another.
There is also pgmigrator, but I haven't checked that yet.

Remember to make a database dump before the whole operation :)

regards
Szymon Guz