Re: Pooling in Core WAS: Need help in performance tuning.

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pooling in Core WAS: Need help in performance tuning.
Date: 2010-07-22 18:33:43
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 6:58 AM, Craig Ringer
<craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au> wrote:
> On 12/07/10 17:45, Matthew Wakeling wrote:
>>
>> I'm surprised. Doesn't apache httpd do this? Does it have to do a whole
>> load of non-portable stuff? It seems to work on a whole load of platforms.
>
> A lot of what Apache HTTPd does is handled via the Apache Portable
> Runtime (APR). It contains a lot of per-platform handlers for various
> functionality.

Apache just has all of the worker processes call accept() on the
socket, and whichever one the OS hands it off to gets the job.  The
problem is harder for us because a backend can't switch identities
once it's been assigned to a database.  I haven't heard an adequate
explanation of why that couldn't be changed, though.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company