Re: Fix for Index Advisor related hooks

From: Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PGSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fix for Index Advisor related hooks
Date: 2011-02-23 17:49:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 1:36 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <
heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> On 18.02.2011 17:02, Gurjeet Singh wrote:
>
> Another use case of the Index Advisor is to be switched on for a few hours
>> while the application runs, and gather the recommendations for the whole
>> run. We'll need good performance that case too.
>>

> How exactly does that work? I would imagine that you log all the different
> SQL statements and how often they're run during that period. Similar to
> pgFouine, for example. And only then you run the index advisor on the
> collected SQL statements.

The Index Advisor produces recommendations for every running query on the
fly and stores them in a table. After the application run is over, these
recommendations can be viewed in the table and analyzed to pick the indexes
that provide the most benefit.

Regards,
--
gurjeet.singh
@ EnterpriseDB - The Enterprise Postgres Company

singh(dot)gurjeet(at){ gmail | yahoo }.com
Twitter/Skype: singh_gurjeet

Mail sent from my BlackLaptop device