Re: Unhandled exception in PGAdmin when opening 16-million-record table

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Dmitriy Igrishin <dmitigr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <peter(dot)geoghegan86(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rob Richardson <Rob(dot)Richardson(at)rad-con(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unhandled exception in PGAdmin when opening 16-million-record table
Date: 2010-10-30 15:23:44
Lists: pgsql-general
On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Dmitriy Igrishin <dmitigr(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Do you mean that cursors (regular, not holdable) live only inside a
> transactions?
> But it is possible to check transaction status from another part of pgAdmin
> or
> even make the window with result set modal ?

No, I mean that the tool was developed to help tune application
queries, in which the data transfer time can be just as important as
the query execution time. With cursors, you lose that information.

Of course, patches to make optional use of cursors would be interesting to us.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company