Re: Extensible executor nodes for preparation of SQL/MED

From: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Extensible executor nodes for preparation of SQL/MED
Date: 2010-10-26 09:23:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Here is a WIP patch to extensible executor nodes.

It replaces large switch blocks with function-pointer calls (renamed to
PlanProcs from VTable). It has small performance win (Please test it!)
and capsulize some details of executor nodes, but is not perfect.

The infrastructure might be used by SQL/MED, but then not only PlanState
but also Plan and Path are required to be customizable. Complete cleanup
would be difficult, but I'm trying to find common ground for existing
postgres' implementation and extensible planner and executor.
Comments and suggestions welcome.

--
Itagaki Takahiro