Re: BUG #5851: ROHS (read only hot standby) needs to be restarted manually in somecases.

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: mark <dvlhntr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5851: ROHS (read only hot standby) needs to be restarted manually in somecases.
Date: 2011-01-30 19:19:11
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 1:03 PM, mark <dvlhntr(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> When showing the setting on the slave or master all tcp_keepalive settings
> (idle, interval and count) are showing 0;
>
> The config file shows interval and count commented out, but idle in the
> config file is set to 2100.
>
> Possible that "show tcp_keepalive_idle;" isn't reporting accurately ? (or a
> value that high isn't be accepted?)
>
> I have reloaded configs and still seeing 0's
>

> I assume you would suggest I turn that number down... a lot.

Yeah, the defaults are way too long for our purposes. The way to get
this set correctly, I think, is to set it in the primary_conninfo
stream on the slave. You end up with something like this:

primary_conninfo='host=blahblah user=bob keepalives_idle=XX
keepalives_interval=XX keepalives_count=XX'

I'm of the opinion that we really need an application-level keepalive
here, but the above is certainly a lot better than nothing.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company