Please provide stable target anchors

From: Daniele Varrazzo <daniele(dot)varrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Please provide stable target anchors
Date: 2010-07-08 14:54:54
Lists: pgsql-docs

Hello,

In psycopg documentation I've often referenced specific parts of
PostgreSQL docs, e.g. libpq functions, using the anchors found in the
html docs (see [1] for example). Unfortunately these anchors are not
stable and the ones I've linked to have changed, leaving half-broken
links referring to the correct page but to not existing fragments ([2]
for the example above).

The html anchors seem generated from the <indexterm> tags in the sgml
documentation. Would it be possible to generate stable anchors for
these targets, e.g. "slugifying" the content of the <primary> tag
contained in them?

Sorry for not being more helpful: I don't know much about the sgml toolchain.

Uhm... looking at the currently published html doc, it seems there is
a problem: the index [3] doesn't use these anchors at all. See for
example the entries for any libpq function.

Cheers.

-- Daniele

[1] http://initd.org/psycopg/docs/connection.html#connection.get_backend_pid
[2] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/libpq-status.html#AEN33590