Re: bytea type shows different size on FreeBSD

From: Daniele Varrazzo <daniele(dot)varrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Landreville <landreville(at)deadtreepages(dot)com>
Cc: psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: bytea type shows different size on FreeBSD
Date: 2011-02-12 11:48:14
Lists: psycopg

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 12:48 AM, Landreville
<landreville(at)deadtreepages(dot)com> wrote:
> I'm using psycopg-2.4 beta1 on FreeBSD and it is giving me a size that is
> twice the actual size for the bytea field on a table. In OSX and Linux using
> the same psycopg2 version the size is listed as 6151 (which is correct)
> while under FreeBSD it lists the size as 12303.
>
> Has anyone else encountered this, or is there some way I can do further
> debugging to determine the cause?

Do you have a sample of what you receive? E.g. the first 100 bytes
with a "print repr(cur.fetchone()[0][:100])"?

Could you be in the problematic situation of a PostgreSQL 9.0 with the
previous version on the client? The problems is detailed in a faq at
<http://initd.org/psycopg/docs/faq.html#problems-with-type-conversions>,
see "Transferring binary data from PostgreSQL 9.0 doesn’t work".

Regards,

-- Daniele