Re: WIP: Range Types

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WIP: Range Types
Date: 2011-01-12 02:24:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 4:03 AM, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com> wrote:
> It also might be worth figuring out why input functions get the type oid
> and output functions do not. I see this comment above getTypeIOParam():
>
>  * As of PostgreSQL 8.1, output functions receive only the value
> itself
>  * and not any auxiliary parameters, so the name of this routine is
> now
>  * a bit of a misnomer ... it should be
> getTypeInputParam.
>
> So, why was it eliminated?

Good question. The relevant commit is here:

commit 6c412f0605afeb809014553ff7ad28cf9ed5526b
Author: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Date: Sun May 1 18:56:19 2005 +0000

Change CREATE TYPE to require datatype output and send functions to have
only one argument. (Per recent discussion, the option to accept multiple
arguments is pretty useless for user-defined types, and would be a likely
source of security holes if it was used.) Simplify call sites of
output/send functions to not bother passing more than one argument.

...but I don't understand the motivation behind it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company