pgAdmin Query Tool hangs when working with GIS data

From: Michael Willekes <mikewillekes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgAdmin Query Tool hangs when working with GIS data
Date: 2010-12-17 21:08:16
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hello,

I've run into a the same issue described here:

"Query Tool history makes the Query Tool unusable after BIG query had been
executed<http://archives.postgresql.org/pgadmin-support/2010-09/msg00006.php>
"

Hardware:
- Windows 7 64 bit, 2 GB Ram, 2.8 Ghz

Tools:
- PostgreSQL 9.0.1, compiled by Visual C++ build 1500, 32-bit
- pgAdmin 1.12.1 (Oct 3, 2010, rev:REL-1_12_1)
- PostGIS 1.5.2

I used shp2pgsql from the PostGIS toolkit to generate an SQL Query from a
shapefile(*). The generated .SQL file is not too big (~13MB) but is a
little odd in that some of the generated geometry columns are excessively
wide (>250K characters on a single line). The query executes fine (data is
correctly loaded into the database), but subsequent attemps to load the
pgAdmin query tool cause pgAdmin to hang (has to be killed from Task
Manager).

Deleting 'pgadmin_histoqueries.xml' resolves the issue. I
uninstalled/reinstalled pgAdmin several times, but didn't know about the
existance of this history file (which was stored in my Windows AppData Dir -
and 'survived' an uninstall/reinstall - which of course meant that each
install exhibited the same problem).

It's probably not a common scenario, but it took me a while to find the
issue, so I thought I'd mention it here...

Regards,
Mike

(*) Shapefile:
http://www.naturalearthdata.com/downloads/10m-physical-vectors/10m-coastline/