Re: Which variant to choose?

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: RP Khare <passionate_programmer(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Which variant to choose?
Date: 2010-10-30 14:43:27
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 2:56 AM, RP Khare
<passionate_programmer(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I want to use PostgreSQL for my standalone .NET Windows application. I
> downloaded PostgreSQL Advanced Server from EnterpriseDB's website and it is
> very smooth. The GUI also very good. But I suspect how along EnterpriseDB
> will support it.
> The second option is to download from postgresql.org.
> I want an edition that lasts long and I can easily upgrade it to future
> versions without any problems and it must work smoothly with .NET. It must
> also integrate seemlessly with third-party reporting tools.

EnterpriseDB adds a lot of value to Postgres, especially if you are
coming from another platform and new to the postgres ecosystem. Along
with various product enhancements, they provide support, training, and
consulting services. The company provides resources to PostgreSQL
development and has some core community members on its team. You will
be in good hands. Generally speaking, it's considered poor etiquette
to solicit and pitch commercial services on the community lists but I
have no direct affiliation so I'm covered :-). There are also several
other companies that provide support services listed on the PostgreSQL
site: (http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support)...many
of them are also excellent. PostgreSQL has a technical and community
culture that tends to attract really bright people.

merlin