importing a data file without defining a table structure

From: c b <charles(dot)blankenship(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: importing a data file without defining a table structure
Date: 2010-07-22 20:21:47
Lists: pgsql-novice

What's the quickest and easiest way to load data into tables from
external files.

I've dug around a bit and it may be the case that people just don't do
what I'm looking to do, so I'm asking here.

I've got a csv file with column names in the first row. I want to
load that into a table and have the column types and names generated
automatically.

Can this be done? (Or do I need to first create a table with CREATE,
typing out each column name and data type manually, and then edit the
data file to remove the first row, and then copy the file into the
table using COPY?)

Thanks,
Charles