Re: Bug in master when refreshing constraints node (though only when collapsed and with --enable-debug)

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Peter Geoghegan <peter(dot)geoghegan86(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug in master when refreshing constraints node (though only when collapsed and with --enable-debug)
Date: 2011-01-31 21:22:02
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 9:10 PM, Peter Geoghegan
<peter(dot)geoghegan86(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I've found an odd bug that is only apparent in --enable-debug builds.
> It's not clear that it's a PgAdmin bug. It's rather difficult to get a
> useful back trace when the code that exhibits the bug is hidden behind
> event loop indirection, and I'm still not very familiar with the
> codebase, so I though that this might be a good candidate to isolate
> using git bisect. For what it's worth, the backtrace is available from
> http://pastebin.com/m4iCqYwH .
>
> PgAdmin crashes when I refresh the "constraints" node in the object
> browser that is a child of a table. Note that this only happens when
> the node is collapsed.
>
> I've reproduced this on both my laptop and desktop. Both are Fedora
> machines with wx 2.8/gtk, so perhaps someone could independently
> reproduce this on a somewhat different system.
>
> I did a git checkout to a fairly old revision - from late November
> last year. The problem is present way back then, which makes it not
> such a good candidate for a git bisect after all.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why I might see this problem?

A couple of thoughts:

- I committed a fix for a *very* similar issue (the same assertion)
here: http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=pgadmin3.git;a=commitdiff;h=9ec6b29fe3fbd9cc196d5e91b55f3697f02bcad8

- Magnus reported another similar issue when refreshing an *expanded*
"Tables" node: http://archives.postgresql.org/pgadmin-hackers/2011-01/msg00157.php

The same issue perhaps? Can you track it down with the clues in the
earlier fix and the referenced wxWidgets bug?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company