Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Basic Recovery Control functions for use in Hot Standby. Pause,

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Basic Recovery Control functions for use in Hot Standby. Pause,
Date: 2011-03-18 12:14:24
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 3:22 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> If recovery target is set to before its consistent, ie. before
> minRecoveryPoint, we should throw an error before recovery even starts. I'm
> not sure if we check that at the moment.

I don't see how you could check that anyway. How do you know where
you're going to see the given XID/timestamp/named restore point until
you actually get there?

> Not sure what to to do recovery target is beyond minRecoveryPoint and
> pause_at_recovery_target=true, but the server hasn't been opened for hot
> standby yet (because it hasn't seen a running-xacts record yet). I agree
> it's pretty useless and annoying to stop there.

I think the reasonable options are "enter normal running" and "shut down".

In any event, it sounds like someone needs to fix this, and I don't
know enough to do it. Can you or Fujii Masao do it?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company