Re: TODO note

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Colin 't Hart" <colinthart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TODO note
Date: 2010-09-15 17:30:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 3:37 AM, Colin 't Hart <colinthart(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I note that the implementation of tab completion for SET TRANSACTION in PSQL
> could benefit from the implementation of autonomous transactions (also
> TODO).

I think it's safe to say that if we ever manage to get autonomous
transactions working, there are a GREAT MANY things which will benefit
from that. There's probably an easier way to get at that Todo item,
though, if someone feels like beating on it.

One problem with autonomous transactions is that you have to figure
out where to store all the state associated with the autonomous
transaction and its subtransactions. Another is that you have to
avoid an unacceptable slowdown in the tuple-visibility checks in the
process.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company