Re: Email notification pgAgent

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Jasmin Dizdarevic <jasmin(dot)dizdarevic(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Email notification pgAgent
Date: 2010-12-31 15:24:13
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Jasmin Dizdarevic
<jasmin(dot)dizdarevic(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi,
> back to the main topic: Email notification.
> This week I tried to use the wxSMTP library for the email notification
> feature - without success. There are two versions of the lib. One will not
> be supported in the future, the other is an alpha or beta. I hope this
> extensions will be available as a contrib module for wx in the near future.

:-(

Whats the problem? Does it seem fixable?

> I also couldn't find any other multi platform library, which is open source.
> Do you know one?

No, unfortunately not.

> Another idea was to use a command line tool, which is available for *nix and
> windows (http://caspian.dotconf.net/menu/Software/SendEmail/) and invoke it
> via Exec in pgAgent.
> Is this a practicable way for you?

Not really. It's GPL licenced, which isn't compatible with ours. But
exec'ing a third party app really isn't an architecture I want to
support. Even exec'ing sendmail or "mail" doesn't seem like a nice
option to me.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com