Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL keepalives help

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kananda <Kananda(at)stepsoftware(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL keepalives help
Date: 2010-07-30 00:02:14
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

!!! Please do not post to multiple lists. Pick one, see what bites
you get, wait, then try another if no one answers. I'm removing all
but pgsql-admin from this post !!!

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Kananda <Kananda(at)stepsoftware(dot)com(dot)br> wrote:
> Hy,
>
> I have a system working with the client-server structure and PostgreSQL 8.4.

What OS?

> My problem is that if a client who is editing a record and lose his
> connection to the server,the TCPIP connection is still considered! So, the
> record stay allocated for the client in my database.
> I need the records are free for edit, in few minutes. Therefore I set the
> KEEPALIVE configuration in my "postgresql.conf":
>
> tcp_keepalives_idle = 60 # TCP_KEEPIDLE, in seconds;
> tcp_keepalives_interval = 60 # TCP_KEEPINTVL, in seconds;
> tcp_keepalives_count TCP_KEEPCNT = 5 #;
>
> After making these settings and restart the server, the system continues to
> function the same way: Just breaks the connection TCPIP after two hours and
> then deallocates the records in PostgreSQL. I need a efficient and safe way
> for the PostgreSQL understand that is to break these connections as
> configured! I need help, urgent!

I'll assume you're on linux, in which case try setting those values
with sysctl like so:

Edit /etc/sysctl.conf. add these lines at the bottom:

net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time = 300
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_probes = 2
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_intvl = 30

Then run "sudo sysctl -p"