Re: ALTER EXTENSION UPGRADE, v3

From: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER EXTENSION UPGRADE, v3
Date: 2011-02-02 10:35:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 03:21, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr> wrote:
> PFA version 3 of the ALTER EXTENSION PATCH, cleaned and merged against
> recent HEAD and extension's branch from which I just produced the v30
> patch.

Excuse me for asking, but could you explain what is the purpose?
Which is true, "upgrade to 9.1 from past versions" or "upgrade
from 9.1 to future versions"?  Also, how much advantage will we
have compared with uninstall_MODULE.sql + CREATE EXTENSION?

In my understanding, the patch does two things:
 1. Add ALTER object SET EXTENSION
 2. Add MODULE.upgrade.sql script for each contrib module

#1 seems reasonable as a supplement for CREATE EXTENSION patch,
but we might need not only "attach" but also "detach".

I guess #2 is much more difficult than expected because we might
upgrade databases from older versions. Will we need upgrade script
for each supported versions? -- if so, it would be nightmare...

--
Itagaki Takahiro