Re: Stuff for 2.4.1

From: Harald Armin Massa <harald(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Daniele Varrazzo <daniele(dot)varrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stuff for 2.4.1
Date: 2011-03-27 18:56:52
Lists: psycopg

as you found correctly, I was allready biten by that bytea-escape-bug.
The aftermath led to the PQlibVersion() function for libpq, committed
by Magnus @;a=commit;h=de9a4c27fefcc0d104bc9c97f4a93a49a25bf66d

> Please note that I have not written a parser for user input: this is a
> parser specifically used to receive data from the database and is only
> used to parse the bytea *output* format
> (
> I would be very concerned in replacing >PQescapeString/PQescapeBytea for
> the reason you mention, and I would never do it to gain performance:

your arguments are sound. And a line at "nothing from the user, just
stuff from the database" is a line correctly drawn. Parsing things
that come from the database should be save.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my fears,

best wishes

Harald Armin Massa
PostgreSQL  Training, Services  and Support

2ndQuadrant Deutschland GmbH
GF: Harald Armin Massa
Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 736399