Re: streaming replication question

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rajesh Kumar Mallah <mallah(dot)rajesh(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: streaming replication question
Date: 2010-10-05 04:09:56
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 2:57 AM, Rajesh Kumar Mallah
<mallah(dot)rajesh(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I am currently aiming to setup only SR  between 2 servers only.

"only SR" means that you don't need Hot Standby (i.e., you don't need to
run any query on the standby server)? If so, you can set wal_level to
archive instead of hot_standby, and disable hot_standby parameter on the
standby.

> My question is in SR setup do i need to keep transferring the archived WAL
> files also ?

No if wal_keep_segments is high enough that WAL files required for the standby
can be saved in pg_xlog directory of the master.

> when the slave requests WAL records from the master does the master consult
> the archived
> wal files also for sending the records ?

No. In 9.0, the master doesn't read and send the archived WAL files.
But I agree to make the master send the archived WAL files, and I'm
now proposing that.
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-09/msg02040.php

Regards,

--