Re: Probable faq: need some benchmarks of pgsql vr.s mysql

From: Martin Farach-Colton <martin(at)tokutek(dot)com>
To: MARK CALLAGHAN <mdcallag(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Probable faq: need some benchmarks of pgsql vr.s mysql
Date: 2010-11-08 16:23:18
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Good point Mark.

There's an inherent performance cliff associated with B-trees when you drop
out of memory. The InnoDB insertion buffer is a way to soften that cliff,
but it doesn't eliminate the underlying cause. An insertion buffer will
help -- sometimes a lot -- because you can bunch up your insertions and hit
the same B-tree leaf with more than one insertions. When won't it help?

- When you have a lot of secondary indexes, because you dilute the effect of
insertion bunching across the indexes.

- When your insertion pattern looks random, because a random key will have a
lot less leaf bunching.

But even without these "buffer killers", you still drift down towards the
limiting situation of one-seek-per-insertion as the database grows. So the
insertion buffer moves out the pain point but doesn't address the underlying
problem.