Re: string function - "format" function proposal

From: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: string function - "format" function proposal
Date: 2010-09-06 05:16:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> * %v also doesn't quote boolean values, but t and f are not valid.
>>  You should use true and false (or 't' and 'f') for the cases.
>
> you have a true - it should be fixed

I found quote_literal() prints boolean values as 'true' or 'false'.
It uses casting to text type rather than calling output function.
OTOH, format functions (and concat funcs) use output functions.

Which should we use for such purposes? Consistent behavior is
obviously preferred. Boolean type might be the only type that
is converted to different representation in typoutput or cast-to-test,
but we should consider to have boolean-specific hardwired code,
or cast all types to text instead of output functions.

--
Itagaki Takahiro