Re: Issue with libpq < 8.4

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Issue with libpq < 8.4
Date: 2010-08-24 11:26:51
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:

> Can't we just have it set a variable we could check with a #ifdef? We
> don't use PQconninfoParse in many files (actually, two). So it would be
> pretty easy to add the #ifdef line, so that it won't be a big issue for
> packagers.

We use PQconninfoParse to check to ensure we have a new enough libpq
to use application_name, so we can avoid sending it with older libpqs.
If we disable the check for older libpqs, then we'll always get an
error with them. The only way to fix that would be to only allow a 9.0
libpq to be used.

The current code at least allows 8.4 and 9.0 libpqs.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise Postgres Company