Re: linux server configuration

From: Peter Geoghegan <peter(dot)geoghegan86(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Sim Zacks <sim(at)compulab(dot)co(dot)il>
Cc: PostgreSQL general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: linux server configuration
Date: 2011-01-06 13:39:51
Lists: pgsql-general
I don't think that it makes sense to look at PG tuning and server
tuning as two separate tasks. XFS was recently benchmarked using
bonnie++ by Greg Smith, with interesting results:

http://blog.2ndquadrant.com/en/2010/04/the-return-of-xfs-on-linux.html

That said, my guess is that the majority of large Linux installations
are using ext3 or ext4. It isn't the case that there's a favoured
filesystem for Postgres.

The kernel parameters that you'll want to change are sysV IPC parameters:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/kernel-resources.html

If you want a guide to choosing hardware for Postgres, I can highly
recommend Greg Smith's new book, "Postgresql 9 High performance".

--
Regards,
Peter Geoghegan