Re: Jira and PostgreSQL

From: Vick Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Jira and PostgreSQL
Date: 2010-08-30 19:40:35
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 5:26 AM, Jayadevan M
<Jayadevan(dot)Maymala(at)ibsplc(dot)com> wrote:
> The question is - "Jira on MySQL or Jira on PostgreSQL?" Any

We have Jira on postgres for project development work. Only about a
dozen users. Jira uses the DB as basic storage -- there are no
foreign keys, constraints, etc. Just a few indexes. Any DB would
work fine, really. We use Pg because that's what we're used to using.

I don't see why you couldn't use it for 24x7 work -- it *never* goes down.

The only issue is that the official upgrade path for Jira requires
turning off your current instance, copying everything into a dump
file, and re-loading on the new instance of jira. Even for minor
releases, eg, moving from 4.1.0 to 4.1.1 process is the same as moving
from 4.1 to 5.0. That is the only downtime it requires, and that's
nothing to do with the DB engine.