Re: About our GSoC projects

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: About our GSoC projects
Date: 2010-08-17 09:56:47
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 9:20 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering how we should handle the GSoC projects now. They both give
> us their patches, and in both of them, they are quite some work to do.
>
> I didn't do a lot of work on Adeel's one, but there is at least a lot of
> work to do to compile his project on Linux.

:-(. I think much of that stems from the age-old problem of
under-estimating exactly how much time a project will require.

> I worked a lot more on Luis's one. It builds on Windows and Linux. I
> didn't find time to check on Mac OS X yet, but it shouldn't be a
> problem. Anyway, there are also lots of work remaining, more on the UI
> part. Luis has done a lot of work to make it better today, but I think
> there's still work to do.

Luis has the advantage of being a past contributor and GSoC student.
Still, it sounds like this one was more work than expected too.

> So, my basic question is: how do we handle this?
>
> I know Luis is interested to continue to work on his project. I don't
> know for Adeel. Anyway, perhaps a good way to do this is to create two
> dev branches on the pgadmin repo, one for each GSoC project. But I
> wonder what we should do with the branches once they'll get merged on
> the master branch.

That doesn't help unless we give them both commit access, which isn't
going to happen on the master repo. Ashesh is much higher up in the
queue for that :-)

I would suggest that they both create repos on github (or one of us
does, and gives them access).

/D

--
Dave Page