Re: pg_dump --split patch

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Joel Jacobson <joel(at)gluefinance(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, dmitry(at)koterov(dot)ru, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, David Wilson <david(dot)t(dot)wilson(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pg_dump --split patch
Date: 2011-01-03 19:54:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 2:46 PM, Joel Jacobson <joel(at)gluefinance(dot)com> wrote:
> My major concern of parsing the schema file is I would never fully
> trust the output from the script, even if the regex is extremely
> paranoid and really strict, there is still a risk it contains a bug.

That could possibly be resolved by using the custom or tar formats.

> If you cannot trust the output from the schema parse script, it's not
> safe to use it to do a partial restore of objects.
> Let's say you want to restore only a few functions from your backup
> schema.

I don't think this is the right solution to that problem; or at least,
it's not the solution I want personally.  I want something like
--function=glob (and yes I do want that same thing for every other
object type, too, but PARTICULARLY for functions).  This might be a
next-best solution to that problem, but I'm still holding out for the
home run.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company