Re: sorted writes for checkpoints

From: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: sorted writes for checkpoints
Date: 2010-10-29 06:58:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> Simon's argument in the thread that the todo item points to
> (http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2008-07/msg00123.php) is
> basically that we don't know what the best algorithm is yet and benchmarking
> is a lot of work, so let's just let people do whatever they feel like until
> we settle on the best approach. I think we need to bite the bullet and do
> some benchmarking, and commit one carefully vetted patch to the backend.

When I submitted the patch, I tested it on disk-based RAID-5 machine:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-06/msg00541.php
But there were no additional benchmarking reports at that time. We still
need benchmarking before we re-examine the feature. For example, SSD and
SSD-RAID was not popular at that time, but now they might be considerable.

I think direct patching to the core is enough at the first
testing, and we will decide the interface according to the
result. If one algorithm win in all cases, we could just
include it in the core, and then extensibility would not need.

--
Itagaki Takahiro