Re: Re: new patch of MERGE (merge_204) & a question about duplicated ctid

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Marko Tiikkaja <marko(dot)tiikkaja(at)cs(dot)helsinki(dot)fi>, Boxuan Zhai <bxzhai2010(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: new patch of MERGE (merge_204) & a question about duplicated ctid
Date: 2011-01-03 16:02:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> On 03.01.2011 17:56, Stephen Frost wrote:
>> * Robert Haas (robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
>>> Like Heikki, I'd rather have the feature without a workaround for the
>>> concurrency issues than no feature.
>> I'm still trying to figure out the problem with having the table-level
>> lock, unless we really think people will be doing concurrent MERGE's
>> where they won't overlap..?  I'm also a bit nervous about if the result
>> of concurrent MERGE's would actually be correct if we're not taking a
>> bigger lock than row-level (I assume we're taking row-level locks as it
>> goes through..).
>> In general, I also thought/expected to have some kind of UPSERT type
>> capability with our initial MERGE support, even if it requires a big
>> lock and won't operate concurrently, etc.
> You can of course LOCK TABLE as a work-around, if that's what you want.

That work-around completely fails to solve the concurrency problem.
Just because you have a lock on the table doesn't mean that there
aren't already tuples in the table which are invisible to your
snapshot (for example because the inserting transactions haven't
committed yet).

Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company