Re: add label to enum syntax

From: Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: add label to enum syntax
Date: 2010-10-27 16:58:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 08:57, Alvaro Herrera
articular direction.  Now *this* is proper bikeshedding.

> Should we ask more openly in another thread, with a different, more
> catchy subject?

Wait you want more bikeshedding? :P Anyway If I look at the original concern:

>> ...instead of:
>> ALTER TYPE enumtype ADD 'newlabel'
>> it might be better to have:
>> ALTER TYPE enumtype ADD LABEL 'newlabel'
>> That way if we later wanted to support some other sort of ADD operation on types we would be able to more easily.

I have not seen anyone suggest what those other add operations might
be. Maybe the thing to-do is leave it alone. That is naked ADD,
neither VALUE or LABEL.

However, in the interest of progress-- +1 for VALUE; Its how I
naturally tried to "do it" in psql.