Re: CVS in docs

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CVS in docs
Date: 2010-09-22 12:05:26
Lists: pgsql-docs
On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 00:38, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> writes:
>> Do references to the CVS need removing now that everything is on GIT?
>
> The chapter about CVS obviously needs to be replaced.  I was talking
> to Magnus about that earlier, and we both felt that that needs to be
> back-patched, if only so that there are non-obsolete repository URLs
> in the next back-branch updates.  I'm not sure that we need the
> tutorial-ish description of how to do checkouts etc, but at the least
> we need the URLs.

Here's a suggested patch for this. Most of it is just taking out the
cvs documentation since most of the git info was in there already. I
also moved some notes around.

Finally, I took the liberty to rip out the <appendixinfo> part listing
specific authors. Most of what they did is gone now anyway, and we
don't have those entries on other files.

> A quick grep suggests that there are a dozen or two other passing
> references to CVS in docs and comments, which'd be worth cleaning
> up in HEAD, but probably not worth back-patching.

Agreed.

What about the messages in configure?
"configure:*** Without Bison you will not be able to build PostgreSQL
from CVS nor"

coming out of config/*.m4?

--
 Magnus Hagander