Re: Wiki clarification

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Wiki clarification
Date: 2011-02-27 11:43:27
Lists: pgsql-www

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 22:09, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>>> To clarify what I'm suggesting - I'm suggesting vendors set up a page
>>> about their own product somewhere on their own site, be it a wiki or
>>> something else. If they don't have one, on a simple google site or
>>> even a github wiki.
>>>
>>> postgresql.org will then link to this from our product catalogue,
>>> which is on the website, just like we do for other commercial
>>> products. That way we (the project) provide equal level of visibility
>>> for third party software, and it's entirely up to the vendor exactly
>>> what type of information to keep on the page/wiki.
>>
>> - -1. Our software catalog is nowhere near as visible as our wiki.
>
> If that is the case, I propose we remove the software catalog. Having
> both only contributes to confusion for the users.
>
> Should we also move things like lists of support providers etc to the
> wiki, so the companies can put more of their info in there? Seems to
> be a pretty similar case?

I would object to doing that - we often get submission from companies
that aren't relevant, and currently they never hit the site as they
have to be moderated first. If we allow commercial content to be added
to the wiki, then we have to start proactively policing the wiki. It's
hard enough to keep people moderating reactively in response to emails
sent by the submission forms, let alone having them check the wiki
daily.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com