Re: TwoPO: experimental join order algorithm

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Adriano Lange <alange0001(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TwoPO: experimental join order algorithm
Date: 2010-07-25 21:44:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 9:20 AM, Adriano Lange <alange0001(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I'd like to release the last version of my experimental join order
> algorithm (TwoPO - Two Phase Optimization [1]):
>
> http://git.c3sl.ufpr.br/gitweb?p=lbd/ljqo.git;a=summary
>
> This algorithm is not production-ready, but an experimental set of
> ideas, which need to be refined and evaluated. As the join order
> optimization is a hard problem, the evaluation of a search strategy is
> also a hard task. Therefore, I think the most important TODO item
> related to replacement of GEQO algorithm is to define a set of
> evaluation criteria considered as relevant.

As you may know, we're in the middle of a CommitFest right now; I'd
suggest adding this patch to the next one.

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/commitfest_view/open

Someone might have time to look at it sooner, but at least if you add
it here we'll not lose track of it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company