Re: General migration question

From: Greg Spiegelberg <gspiegelberg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "[ADMIN]" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: General migration question
Date: 2010-08-31 15:33:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 9:07 AM, Alvaro Herrera
> Excerpts from Greg Spiegelberg's message of mar ago 31 09:04:18 -0400 2010:
>> Probably questions best asked on hackers but I figure many are represented here.
>> Will there ever be a release where a dump-restore is not necessary?
>> Perhaps, at least, minor releases (e.g. 9.0 to 9.1) will not require a
>> dump-restore?
>
> 9.0 to 9.1 is not a minor release.  9.0.0 to 9.0.1 is a minor release,
> and this doesn't require a dump/reload, but it also doesn't have any new
> features.  9.0 to 9.1 is just as major as 8.4 to 9.0 is.  (The rule is:
> a change in second digit is major release, a change in first digit is
> marketing pressure)

Okay, wrong terminology. I meant minor release as in Major.Minor.Maintenance.

> You can upgrade in place using pg_upgrade from 8.4 to 9.0 (thus you
> don't need dump/reload).  In general, it will be possible to migrate
> from one major version to the next with pg_upgrade starting with the
> 8.4-to-9.0 jump.

I knew of the pg_upgrade but it's the "in general" part that still
makes it a possible bad pill to swallow.

All I'm suggesting is lumping those things requiring a dump/restore
together for major updates.

Greg