Re: postgres performance tunning

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: selvi88 <selvi(dot)dct(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres performance tunning
Date: 2010-12-20 17:26:56
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 2:34 AM, selvi88 <selvi(dot)dct(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Thanks for ur suggestion, already I have gone through that url, with that
> help I was able to make my configuration to work for 5K queries/second.
> The parameters I changed was shared_buffer, work_mem, maintenance_work_mem
> and effective_cache.
> Still I was not able to reach my target.
>
> Can u kindly tell me ur postgres configurations thereby I can get some idea
> out of it.

I already posted this on stack overflow, but you'll need more machine
than you have to do that.  Specifically you'll need either to go to
SSD hard drives (which have some issues with power loss data
corruption unless you spend the bucks on them with a super capacitor
to make sure their write caches can flush on power loss) or a half
dozen to a dozen or so spinning 15k drives with a battery backed
controller.

I can sustain about 5,000 transactions per second on a machine with 8
cores (2 years old) and 14 15k seagate hard drives.