Re: Libpq PGRES_COPY_BOTH - version compatibility

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Libpq PGRES_COPY_BOTH - version compatibility
Date: 2010-12-29 15:14:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 16:12, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 16:15, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> Also, if you really do need to figure out which PG headers you're
>>> compiling against, looking at catversion.h is the accepted way to do it.
>>> There's no need for yet another symbol.
>
>> This file is, AFAIK, not included with client installs? It's
>> definitely not present in the libpq-dev package on debian. It's a
>> backend development file, no?
>
> [ shrug... ]  We can't be held responsible for stupid packaging
> decisions by distros.

Running "make install" in src/interfaces/libpq does not install
catversion.h. If it's required to know which version of the libpq
headers are in use, it should be, shouldn't it?

We can be held responsible for the packaging decisions if they use
*our* "make install" commands, imho.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/