Re: is sync rep stalled?

From: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: is sync rep stalled?
Date: 2010-09-30 14:01:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 2:09 AM, Heikki Linnakangas

> Agreed. Actually, given the lack of people jumping in and telling us what
> they'd like to do with the feature, maybe it's not that important after all.

>> The basic features that I mean is for most basic use case, that is, one
>> master and one synchronous standby case. In detail,
>
> ISTM the problem is exactly that there is no consensus on what the basic use
> case is. I'm sure there's several things you can accomplish with synchronous
> replication, perhaps you could describe what the important use case for you
> is?

OK, So I'll throw in my ideal use case.  I'm starting to play with
Magnus's "streaming -> archive".

*that's* what I want, with synchronous.  Yes, again, I'm looking for
"data durability", not "server query-ability", and I'ld like to rely
on the PG user-space side of things instead of praying that replicated
block-devices hold together....

If my master flips out, I'm quite happy to do a normal archive
restore.  Except I don't want that last 16MB (or archive timeout) of
transactions lost.  The streaming -> archive in it's current state
get's me pretty close, but I'ld love to be able to guarantee that my
recovery from that archive has *every* transaction that the master
committed...

a.

a.