Re: BUG #5667: install failure

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Roedy Green <roedyg(at)mindprod(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5667: install failure
Date: 2010-09-21 17:34:37
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Roedy Green <roedyg(at)mindprod(dot)com> wrote:
> I executed  postgresql-9.0.0-1-windows_x64.exe
> It died with a message:
>
> "An error occured executing VC++ runtime installer."
>
> I had similar problems with version 8.  People gave me various things to
> try. None of it worked.  I gave up on PostgresSQL.  I decided to try again
> with v 9.0.0.
>
> I would really like it you stopped using this flaky installer.

Hmm, if by that you mean 8.0, a lot of things have changed since then.
 I'm not even sure we're using the same installer technology now that
we did then.  But in any case it does work for an awful lot of other
people.  I installed 9.0rc1 on a Windows 7 VM just a few weeks ago,
and it worked fine.  Of course, that does nothing to solve your
problem.  But we do need to try to understand what is different about
your system than the systems of people who are not having this
problem, because otherwise it's pretty hard to fix.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company