Large SGML Cleanup

From: Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Large SGML Cleanup
Date: 2010-11-03 02:56:26
Lists: pgsql-docs
[Resending without large attachment, looks like the previous attempt
isn't going to make it]

Hi all,

I've gone through the SGML documentation, trying to push the output
HTML towards HTML 4.01 compliance. By far the most common problem I
found was incorrect nesting of <para> nodes, which results in invalid

A common idiom I encountered was SGML like this:

This SGML would then produce HTML which looked like this:

This HTML fails validation, as one isn't supposed to be stuffing
tables inside <p> nodes. The attached patch fixes all the instances of
this I could find, by closing out <para> nodes before beginning lists
and tables.

I used the w3c-markup-validator package and the web service at to test HTML validity. A handy Perl package I found
for this was WebService::Validator, which includes the example script
"" to easily validate a directory full of html
files. With this patch, the number of invalid HTML files has been
reduced to 16 from many dozens.

Patch at:

pgsql-docs by date

Subject: Re: Large SGML Cleanup
Previous:From: Katharina kuhnDate: 2010-11-02 18:35:32