Re: and it's not a bunny rabbit, either

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: and it's not a bunny rabbit, either
Date: 2011-01-01 05:05:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> On tor, 2010-12-30 at 11:03 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
>> No, quite the opposite.  With the other approach, you needed:
>> constraints cannot be used on views
>> constraints cannot be used on composite types
>> constraints cannot be used on TOAST tables
>> constraints cannot be used on indexes
>> constraints cannot be used on foreign tables
>> With this, you just need:
>> constraints can only be used on tables
> At the beginning of this thread you said that the error messages should
> focus on what you tried to do, not what you could do instead.

Yeah, and I still believe that.  I'm having difficulty coming up with
a workable approach, though.  It would be simple enough if we could

/* translator: first %s is a feature, second %s is a relation type */
%s cannot be used on %s

...but I think this is likely to cause some translation headaches.

> Also, in this particular case, the user could very well assume that a
> TOAST table or a foreign table is a table.

There's a limited amount we can do about confused users, but it is
true that the negative phrasing is better for that case.

Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company