Re: Little Help please

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'Dave & Eileen Brooks'" <daveeileen(at)home(dot)com>, "'pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Little Help please
Date: 2001-10-07 08:54:41
Lists: pgadmin-support
-----Original Message-----
From: Dave & Eileen Brooks [mailto:daveeileen(at)home(dot)com]
Sent: 06 October 2001 22:20
To: Dave Page
Subject: RE: [pgadmin-support] Little Help please

I am trying to connect using ip:port, not odbc

Actually pgAdmin uses the ODBC driver to make the connection, you just don't
see that! The error you are getting does mean exactly what it says - it
can't connect to the server. Some things to check:
1) Can you ping your server using the hostname/ip address that you are
specifying in the pgAdmin logon dialogue?
2) Is the postmaster really running on the tcp/ip port specified in the
pgAdmin logon dialogue - make sure either the relevant option is set in your
postgresql.conf file in $PGDATA, or that the postmaster was started with the
-i option. Netstat will show the default domain socket as well as the tcp/ip
socket - don't get them confused :-)
3) Does $PGDATA/pg_hba.conf on you server allow access to the template1
database from your client PC?
Please let me know if this fixes your problem.
Regards, Dave.
Dave Page (dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org) <>

pgadmin-support by date

Next:From: Dave PageDate: 2001-10-09 15:51:32