PostgreSQL 7.2 Snapshot

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL 7.2 Snapshot
Date: 2001-09-28 07:48:10
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Hi,

During my earlier discussion on the list with Jason re: initdb (7.2), I
mentioned that whilst ntsec made initdb work, I was having problems
connecting to the server though I thought this wan't Cygwin).

I've now tried every thing I can think of and still can't make a connection.
I have:

1) Checked $PGHOST & $PGDATA.
2) Made sure my PostgreSQL 7.1.3 is *not* running.
3) Checked pg_hba.conf.
4) Ensured that the postmaster is started with -i and remains running once
started.
5) Tried passing all options to psql including port, host & database.
6) Confirmed that running 'postgres.exe template1' gives me direct access to
the database.

I am running everything except cygipc (running as a service - any yes, it is
running!) from a bash session and yet still get the following from psql (and
similar errors as you'd expect from createdb or an ODBC app):

psql: connectDBStart() -- connect() failed: Connection refused
Is the postmaster running (with -i) at 'localhost'
and accepting connections on TCP/IP port 5432?

I do vaguely recall a thread on -patches discussing re-jigging of the code
that listens for connections and then forks a new process - could this have
been broken on Cygwin?

Regards, Dave.

--
Dave Page (dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org)